Saturday, July 15th was National Pet Fire Safety Day. In observance of the day, we would like to share a few facts and safety tips on how to keep your furry companion safe.
Did you know? An estimated 500,000 pets are affected annually by home fires and nearly 1,000 of those house fires are accidentally started by the homeowners’ pets, according to a new data analysis from the NFPA.
“Not many pet owners realize that their pet can actually be the cause of a devastating fire,” said AKC spokesperson Lisa Peterson. “Simple preventative measures, such as flameless candles and stove knob covers, can mean the difference between life and death for your four-legged friends.”
Prevent Your Pets from Starting Fires
- Extinguish Open Flames – Pets are generally curious and will investigate cooking appliances, candles, or even a fire in your fireplace. Ensure your pet is not left unattended around an open flame and make sure to thoroughly extinguish any open flame before leaving your home.
- Remove Stove Knobs – Be sure to remove stove knobs or protect them with covers before leaving the house – a stove or cook top is the number one piece of equipment involved in your pet starting a fire.
- Invest in Flameless Candles – These candles contain a light bulb rather than an open flame, and take the danger out of your pet knocking over a candle. Cats are notorious for starting fires when their tails turn over lit candles.
- Replace glass water bowls – Glass water bowls can heat up and start a fire if left outside on a wooden deck, so replace them with metal or plastic ones.
- Leashes and Collars should be near the entrance- In the event of a fire, the dogs collar and leash should be easily accessible for quick access and when you are away, have your pets in the main living area for easy rescue.
- Secure Young Pets – keep them confined away from potential fire-starting hazards when you are away from home such as in crates or behind baby gates in secure areas.